10 week running program
Get ready for the Sydney running season with our 10 Week Running Program. The program is designed to help you build up your stamina and speed and incorporates gym and rest days.
Click on the schedule below for a downloadable copy to print out and keep on the fridge.
Before you start with the 10 Week Running Program, or any running regime – take a look over our running checklist to make sure you are ready to go:
- Running shoes: make sure you have properly fitting shoes that support your foot and running style. We recommend Running Science in Balmain; they offer a professional fitting services and great advice.
- Socks: Look for socks that will be comfortable and help keep your feet dry as you work up a sweat.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is imperative but it’s also important to not drink too much water. There are a number of products available that are easy to carry with you while you run that can help keep your fluid levels up.
- Nutrition: whether you are training for a marathon or a short 5km fun run, your nutritional needs will change as you start running more. A good starting point to keep your energy levels up is to make sure that: 60-70 percent of calories come from carbohydrates (grains, pasta, bread, etc.), 20-30 percent of calories come from healthy fat sources (oils, avocados, nuts, etc.) and 10-15 percent of calories come from protein (fish, meat, chicken, beans, etc.)
- Get lots of sleep: As your race approaches, it’s important to make sure that your body gets plenty of rest to fully recharge and let you do your best on the day.
Lipton, Y., ‘Fuel your run: Nutrition for running and racing’, Fitnessmagazine.com, viewed 5 June 2015, http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/tips/runners-foods-to-eat/